GSoC: command and get obeyed !

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 19 02:12:42 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Jordi Polo wrote:
> If you write:
> http://www.domain.com
> Surely you want to open a browser with that
> But it will be possible (if it is not working yet) that the files
> downloaded from internet are annotated with the page from where they were
> downloaded. Then you may mean search for that in your metainformation.

which is one reason we have relevancy ranking and the ability to have multiple
returns.

> So, what I thought was create domain specific runners as you said (the
> current swith user, logout, etc. Functionality is a good example) and a
> language to avoid ambiguities. ("search  2+2"  or "calc 2+2" for instance).

the calc runner actually use '=' to denote a calculation. so 2+2 won't produce
a calculation, but =2+2 will. so we're mostly on the same page here. we could
easily add "calc" to it the calc runner if we wanted, of course =)

but yes, i agree with the concept.

that said, krunner supports the idea of multiple answers, so even if you got
two returns it's also ok. being able to rank them properly is pretty
important, of course.

> Also, it can be a good idea to make the commands eventually produce
> information that could be inserted in other applications.

the translation runner sort of does this already, actually, by putting its
answer into the clipboard when selected.

> But the "parse high level language and give the parsed information to one
> domain specific runner" is pretty different and I'd say that even
> incompatible with the "give the info to the runners and get the results"
> that I think is how the current krunner works.

i'm not sure i follow you here.

there are two places the parsing can happen:

* in individual runners
* before hitting the runners

if the latter, that just means we need to expose another data structure in
addition to the raw search term to runners that care that contains the
results of the parsing.