GSoC: command and get obeyed !

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:05:44 CET 2008

Hi,

I wanted to take the "marathon" plasma GSoC project (not because it were a
good joke :P) and read your aseigo's post on the issue and all the ideas of
the comments.
Made a list.
And realize one idea was repeated several times, roughly "naturalize the
language used in krunner".

I am studying in the "natural language processing lab" here, so I started to
get crazy ideas augmented by the "enso" technology video.

Krunner is cool but usually means using the keyboard and the mouse (if
choosing other option is needed)

I am thinking of a runner for a domain specific language that can be used to
identify without ambiguity what you want to do with your desktop (at least
most things).
Thinks like
"browse http://www.kde.org"
"browse http://www.kde.org with konqueror"
"email panel-kde" -> open kmail, malody, gmail?
"translate es2en hola" -> use dict plasmoid ?

To allow this functionality, the language:
- Must be pretty powerful.  The language should feel  like natural but in
fact will be pretty limited, surely based in keywords and rules. After the
summer it can be improved with a upper language level more experimental and
statistic based.
- Must be VERY configurable
- Must be possible to make everything multilingual (surely the biggest
challenge).

It will use 3 kind of resources:
- KDE resources (plasma engines, solid, strigi, any relevant kde daemon,
etc)
- DBUS
- Online apps (maps.google.org, linked.in, imagine_something_here)

It surely is better implemented as a plasmoid independent of Krunner.

So the project surely implies:
- A library (plasma engine?) to call the 3 types of resources above (already
created at least partially?)
- A definition of the language
- A configuration facility to let the language map to actions
and/or
- A configuration facility for the library (this allows other apps use its
"get map", etc. Services)

Well, I have to formalize all this proposal and also my own information, as
I said I am learning language processing technologies here and I even have a
KDE svn account (never used it because of the lack of time), start coding
should be a matter or learning how to make a plasmoid.

Anyway, I think this email is vague enough on the specifics to get a lot of
comments.
If you don't rule out the idea as too crazy for KDE, I'd try to refine the
proposal this week and send it.

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST