Question about way of adding timezones support to clock

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 17 13:40:03 CET 2008

On Monday 17 March 2008 13:29:44 Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> > This would need to be fixed in the DataEngine then. The way I understand
> > it,
> > the dataengine should bundle such requests (we don't want one wakeup per
> > timezone per second / minute, but one per second / minute, telling us the
> > time in all the timezones we've connected to.
>
> Is it possible to get the time in UTC and  use the timezone facilities to
> figure out the difference? Then we would still be able to have only one
> wake-up.

I guess so (just connect to "UTC", not tried). But it sounds like something
that should be done in the DataEngine. The applet (and *every single clock
applet*) should not have to know about the deeper meaning of the data and
have to do conversions.

OTOH, conversion between 24-hour format and am-pm format is done in the clock,
but that is only a display property anyway.
--
sebas