fome (failed) experiments with the devicenotifier applet

Christopher Blauvelt cblauvelt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:48:15 CET 2008

2008/3/11 Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org>:

> Le Sunday 09 March 2008, Marco Martin a écrit :
> > but i am stuck in an ugly series of problems, i wanted to write about it
> > when i had some useful code, but i really don't know how to make it work
> :(
> > i wanted to put the eject icon only on mounted devices, so i have to
> watch
> > the mount status of the device, i suppose it could be done with the
> > soliddevice dataengine i suppose, if i understood correctly, giving it a
> > query with an udi like connectSource(udi, this); it would return the
> info
> > for the device with that udi, but it doesn't seem to work, i'm missing
> > something or there are problems in that engine?
> >
> > is the right way to do it with soliddevice engine? or should be used
> solid
> > directly?
>
> Well, since you'll have to act on the device I'd say use solid directly,
> you
> already have all the info you need from the hotplug engine to do it. In
> this
> particular case I doubt the soliddevice engine will have an added value...
> As
> your patch shows you're forced to use the relevant Solid classes anyway.
> In
> your case it just adds complexity I'm afraid.

However once Plasma::Service is implemented a Service will be provided that
will allow him to do these things alleviating him from having to access
Solid directly.  Also, isn't this the point of the whole dataengine/applet
paradigm?  That applets don't have to access frameworks directly? Otherwise
devicenotifier could just access Solid::Notifer directly too.

Chris