physics-based animator

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 13 10:06:42 CET 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 21:30:29 Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> do you think it is ok to introduce an (optional?) dependency on Box2d
> http://www.box2d.org/ for the animator
> with physical equations? that's already a *good* engine we can use for fun
> and profit, without having to worry
> to implement a new one from scratch...

I like the idea of having more natural animations. At the same time, I'm not
so worried about Plasma, but about KWin. I think every single animation in
KWin is purely linear (didn't look at the code yet, X11, OpenGL ... those are
scary things to me ;-)).

We could think of sharing that kind of stuff with KWin too, I think the
distinction between large parts of Plasma and KWin are purely technical and
not easily graspable from our users' POV.

Did anyone actually think of making KWin use for example Plasma::Phase? Lubos,
is that something you could support? Am I even right in stating that all
(most?) animations in KWin are linear?

I talked to Mirco Müller ("MacSlow") who is doing bling things with Cairo some
time ago, and he basically said that linear animations feel unnatural, having
things ease in and out makes it already feel much better. And if you look at
the iPhone / iPod touch, I think having the KDE desktop 'obey the laws of
physics' would make it feel a lot smoother.
--
sebas