KDE Opportunities

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Thu Mar 13 09:10:25 CET 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Carl Batke wrote:
> Also, not being able to choose the
> color/texture of the taskbar is annoying.  It would be nice to change it
> silver or even transparent.  The main panel is the heart of the desktop,
> and I think it needs to be more functional.

btw, may interesting for some; http://kross.dipe.org/plasma_sk_panel.jpg

That panel demonstrates that it's already very easy to write an own panel like
I did. My panel has nothing to do with the default panel, has a silver
background image, is only 40% width and behaves just like the default panel
while beeing written in python using SK (same is for sure possible with C++,
QtScript, etc.).

So, you see, Plasma is such damn flexible and powerful already that there is
nothing that can prevent someone from breaking any theme and just do it the
own(TM) way - or in short: nothing is impossible with Plasma and it's very
easy to replace whatever component with your own favorite one what for sure
also includes applets, the panel or even the desktop :)