containment types

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 04:56:24 CET 2008

I'm a bit confused about what these containment types really mean and how
they're supposed to be used. mainly I'm confused about what is and isn't a
desktop containment.

right now, being a DesktopContainment means three things: you get applet
handles, you get the desktop toolbox, and setScreen() works properly.
I don't like those three things being lumped together. what if I want to write
a desktop containment without a toolbox? (yes, that is where I'm going.) what
if I want a desktop without handles, because I want to do something funky
like tiling applets? (I saw a tiling windowmanager recently. it was shiny.)

would it be reasonable to have separate variables for enabling handles and
toolbox? then the meaning of  setContainmentType(DesktopContainment) would
be "setScreen should work, and handles and toolbox default to on" ?

then I could create a shiny new desktop containment and do
setHasToolbox(false) or setHasHandles(false) to replace them with my own
crazy ideas.

oh the other hand, if being a DesktopContainment absolutely means having a
toolbox and handles, then setScreen should work for non-desktop desktoplike
containments, right? ...I have a feeling that that would cause other pain,
though, because I bet there's more code that assumes containments that serve
as a desktop must be of type DesktopContainment.

oh btw, I'm working on a new containment. should I put it in extragear or
playground? :)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com