Lock/logout interactions

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 03:42:06 CET 2008

On March 11, 2008 17:24:05 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2008 22:47:51 Chani wrote:
> > > Why don't we just use the system's power button? When the user
> > > presses the power button, he's presented with one button: "Click
> > > here to log on as another user" and a countdown, telling him that
> > > the system will shut down in 10 seconds. This would be on a
> > > fullscreen, dimmed version of his current desktop, close to how it
> > > is handled now.
> >
> > hmm... what about hibernate/suspend options? I do find it a little
> > silly that I have to have klaptop from kde3 running and use that to
> > hibernate my laptop.
>
> Hello Chani,
>
> well I'd say these options should not be part of the user interface; at

if they're not part of the user interface, how can we be sure they're
accessible at all? if we need the toolbox for the sake of people who can't
rightclick, then we need other things for people who can't hit a power button
or a lid switch.

or maybe you just meant they shouldn't be part of *kickoff's* interface, and
should stay in the battery systray icon. I wouldn't *like* that but I could
live with it.

> least not literally. As I said, I'd just use the power button to shut
> down the system. To enter other acpi sleep states (like hibernate and
> suspend) we could rely on other information, for example the system's
> idle time. I think it's a very meaningful and expressive, and beyond
> that also a very natural, interaction with my system, if I just get up
> and leave it there. After a couple of minutes the system should go to
> sleep. The same holds for closing the lid.

natural for you, not for me.
personally I like my computer to go into a power-saving mode when idle, but it
doesn't make sense for it to actually suspend if it's online - what if I was
downloading a file?

I have my current laptop set to hibernate on lid close so that I can shove it
in my backpack when I have to jump off the bus, and not have to worry about
the battery dying (the battery life of this thing is abysmal) but this olpc
thing doesn't seem to *have* a lid switch, and I remember that in kde3 the
leave dialog showed on ctrl-alt-del had a hibernate option that came in handy
sometimes.

I'm not opposed to having shiny automatic stuff and cleaning up ui, but this
stuff *does* have to be accessible *somewhere* in software... and I think any
menu that has room for reboot has room for hibernate too ;)

> This has of course to be adapted for public computers or other
> environments, where an unprotected computer, even for a couple of
> minutes, is undesirable.
>
> Thanks to unsatisfactory acpi drivers, this also doesn't work for most
> current computer systems; I've already been alerted to my reality
> distortion field running wild by Marco and Aaron :-).

ok, I'll try and stop repeating things then ;)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com