Ranking of results in KRunner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 00:16:44 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Matej Svejda wrote:
> After that KRunner asked: "Hey runners: How probable do you think it
> is that the user wants to use you?". Then the runners start

this is the purpose the relevance rating in SearchMatch, of course ... what we
don't do right now is allow for a second pass at the match to rank it: we
expect it to be ranked by the time it appears in the UI.

> Then KRunner looked at the freedesktop-conform local
> query-match-database that had been synchronized with the central
> server just two hours before and looked what KRunner-users from around
> the world were thinking of when they entered "white s". It turned out

that could be a very larg db ;) it would also need to be opt in out of privacy
concerns.

> An alternative for the last part: Joe allready had searched for "white
> stripes" into KRunner 3 weeks ago and back then he wanted to listen to
> music too. This outweighed the self-assessments too.

i think this is certainly something worth doing.

another possibility is to have post-match runners go over the matches thus far
returned and rank them. for instance, if Amarok returns "Play music by the
White Stripes" and strigi returns "white_stripes.png" then a nepomuk based
runner might be able to return the information that they had recently
received white_stripes.png and so may well be interested in that more due to
recency, or maybe they had tagged that file with 5 stars or somesuch.

to do this would require a post-match relevancy ranking system.