plasma, umpc, etc

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 5 20:59:46 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Marijn Kruisselbrink wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > so i'm looking for people who have some experience with plasma (you don't
> > have to be a ninja, just have poked at some of the code, such as written
> > widget or dataengine plugins, for example) who would realistically have
> > interest, time and energy to explore plasma on these devices.
>
> Well... I already managed to get plasma (and other parts of KDE) to run
> on my OpenMoko phone without much problems, and was planning on

semi-OT: if you want to send some pictures / screenshots or whatever, i'd be
intersted in blogging about your work in this area on p.k.o.

> submitting a SoC proposal to further improve support from plasma (and
> perhaps other parts of KDE) for devices like that.

if we coordinate this a bit (e.g. ensure that the mobile project submissions
are sufficiently differentiated) i don't see why we couldn't have more than
one successful project approved. if we were to get just 3 plasma related WoC
projects, i'd be very happy if 2 of them were mobile related.

> > if that's you, please let me know what you'd want to do with the device
> > (it's easier to convince people to mail hardware off if there's a
> > concrete project/goal to go along with that) and i'll try to start
> > hooking people up with the opportunity to play with some (free! =)
> > hardware.
>
> I'd definitely be interested in working on stuff like this (and if it
> would be as part of the SoC that would greatly increase the amount of
> time I have available of course), but I don't really have thought of any
> specific projects/goals yet (except that it would of course be very cool
> to have a fully KDE-powered phone).

=) ok, well, maybe i can spend some time thinking of some possible concrete
projects/goals to help the wheels start turning.

perhaps others on the list have ideas they are willing to share as well.