Idea for SoC propsal

Matej Svejda mata at aw-modell.at
Wed Mar 5 19:50:53 CET 2008

Hey guys,

I'm really glad you like my ideas (even though they aren't really
mine, they are basically ideas I picked up at different places on the
Internet and put together). I'm just gonna try to sum things up I'd
have as goals:

  - make ranking of results for queries in KRunner work really well. I
think this is a feature where there needs to be both, a really good
concept and lots and lots of fine-tuning to make things really work
the way they should. Maybe usability tests could be a part of this...?
 I'm going to start a separate thread (or whatever you call these
things in mailing lists) to discuss this.

 - display the results of queries in a way that most people will be
satisfied with (grouped and each result on it's own, maybe something
else, any ideas on that?)

  - make the search-textbox be so great it will blow everyone's socks
off. Meaning: Easy switching between general query and specified query
mode and also between selecting what runner should be queried in a
selectbox or just by typing. Also a cool way of previewing
auto-completion or runner-query-syntax would be, well, cool ;-D.

  - abstract runners out of KRunner

 - allow runners to introduce themselves: explain what they can find
and how they can find it.

 - make gazillions of great runners if there is time left.

I think a problem could be to present this to Google as one project
because usually SoC projects have this striking title like
"Collaborative editing of documents over a network" and I can't think
of such a title for my superb project proposal ;-D.

> that'd be cool. we also need this to be settable by external apps calling into
> krunner (e.g. for the user sessions runner); related to this would be a "no
> editing of the query" mode (again, use case is the sessions runner)
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Actually I'm pretty sure I
don't understand it... :-D. What does the sessions runner to exactly?
I don't have a running KDE 4 installation here...

Greatings from snowy Austria,
Matej