The stupid toolbox

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 4 23:43:43 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 of March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i get the feeling that everyone feels very entitled to have their own pet
> idea thrown into svn on a whim and start demonstrating really awkward
> behaviour when they are denied the pleasure of dumping randomly into svn.
> that's not even a luxury i afford myself. it's not a pattern of behaviour
> that KDE endures anywhere else in our repository.

 You got the request to make it possible to remove the toolbox properly
reported as #154535, currently at not-so-bad 419 votes (which you WONTFIX-ed
with 'it is intentional' and then ignored any other feedback there for quite
some time, and never really answered, barring all the excuses like "it'll
eventually get better", "we won't get any feedback on it" and "you have no
clue", which are nonsense from the POV of somebody who simply doesn't and
won't use it and wants to be able to remove it - no wonder people eventually
start calling it 'the stupid toolbox').

 You got also a (start of a) patch to make it configurable properly submitted
with a review requested, which you handled about the same, with the added
bonus of accusations about 'disservice' and 'not actually developing software
in the open' that were completely uncalled for. I really don't remember if we
ever got that for some of our patches that we tried to push upstream instead
of keeping it for ourselves.

 Am I missing something important WRT the toolbox issue? Since if not, then
the recent Plasma load has been probably quite exhausting for you and as a
result you're clearly overreacting and losing judgement. You should probably
just put your feet on the table and relax for a while. Seriously.

> can you imagine the horror if i had just committed the window border button
> ordering to kwin as i proposed? Lubos would've likely been a little pissed
> and with good reason. i don't really like the end result, but i respect
> that there's a lot of subjectivity to the issue and that kwin is Lubos'
> responsibility, not mine, and that he probably understands the issues there
> with a great level of refinement than i could.

 Yeah. I've got a masters degree on knowing that if many people want something
differently, it should probably be configurable. I don't see how you can
compare this case. You proposed the change and submitted a patch, about the
same like happened with the toolbox, but I don't remember dismissing you
off-hand without explanation or telling you you don't understand it. IIRC I
asked others for opinion, suggested and collected possibilities and then
decided based on the feedback[*], which I again don't remember happening with
the toolbox.

[*] It was roughly half to half IIRC, and people wanting change couldn't quite
decide on the one way to change it, that's why it stayed. It can still change
if there are good reasons for that, and people can change it personally even
now.

> what i am dismissive of is these sorts of behaviours:
 None of this happened with the toolbox, as far as I know.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz