The stupid toolbox

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 4 14:33:03 CET 2008

On Monday 03 of March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> b) can you propose a solution for the "we don't have people testing on
> touch screen" problem?
>
> in many of these conversations, there is a distinct lack of appreciation
> for the fact that in order to have a well formed completed product we
> actually have to have a development process that allows us to get there.
> only actively using features will get us there.
>
> and again, i humbly submit that this is people saying "i don't like it" for
> purely aesthetic reasons and then cloaking it all in a bullshit usability
> argument that ignores real usability issues. so, again, let's concentrate
> on fixing the aesthetic issues, which will innevitably crop up on devices
> as well so we may as well address them now.

 I have only one aesthetic issue with the toolbox - it is there. Please fix
that and I'm pretty sure this whole time-wasting discussion can stop. Even if
you fix all the usability issues (like that it takes one screen corner, even
if only by animating when something else is activated using the corner), ok,
then it will be aesthetics only, but still. And I don't see any other way how
you want to fix the fact that on my empty desktop background[*] there is
something that I consider useless[**] and intrusive.

 And, no, sorry, I'm not interested in testing touch screen support, in fact,
I'm not even interested in your vision of the desktop - as a user, I'm
interested in _mine_. And in my vision of the desktop, there is nothing on
the desktop. Why it's so difficult to explain to you that there's not only
the One True Aaron Desktop(TM)? Do you have an emotional connection to the
toolbox that you don't want people let get rid of it even if they don't want
it, without giving reasons other than "you don't understand it"? I'm pretty
sure I understand my desktop, thank you.

[*] Which has always been empty with only a wallpaper, and I don't plan on
changing that any time soon, even if you make the clock even bigger :)
[**] Since what good is a tool that let's me do anything with nothing? And now
it's in fact more like doing nothing with anything, given what the toolbox
can do _now_. Is it really that strange that some people want to remove it?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz