The stupid toolbox

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Mon Mar 3 21:57:15 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 15:28:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > What was the question again?
>
> a) what are the objections people have to the toolbox?

us or users?  i don't have any objections to the toolbox as stated in my
Review Board comment.

> b) given those objections, how many can we address to the satisfaction of
> those people?

i think by providing a (not default) option for turning off the toolbox some
people will be happy.  the side effect of that (which i am in favor of in
theory) is that it creates a conceptual switch for the zooming desktop (and
whatever else toolbox will control).  i think if the functionality was
something a user could turn on and off, they might be more compelled to
explore it, learn it, and use it (this is particularly for people who wouldnt
have otherwised cared about it).

and i dont know why, but these kde people love to configure stuff, whether or
not it is good for them :)

> ok, so what are the usability issues with the toolbox?

I didn't say there were any.  i think people are just complaining because it's
new and different.  the lack of/(brokeness in older versions) functionality
probably isn't helping this sentiment.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project & HCI Working Group