The stupid toolbox

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 20:35:36 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 20:04:11 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008 13:21:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > d) realize that touch screens are going to be a much, much bigger
> > part of our future and that it would be nice to avoid context
> > menus. couple that realization with the fact that virtually none of
> > us are using plasma on a touchscreen in daily usage (afaik?) and so
> > we would have no other way to effectively test and use it
>
> I realise touch screens are going to be a big part of our future, but
> I don't think we should makes sacrifices for keyboard/mouse
> interaction defaults because of a smaller audience.  Compromising to
> that level will only degrade the experience for both groups.  There
> are enough significant differences between the environments that we
> should consider a hardware-based profile.

Hi Celeste,

I guess you're right in your prediction that it might still be a long
time before we see widespread use of touch- and gesture based
interfaces in opensource desktop software. Because hardware is rare and
from my experience good opensource drivers for such hardware are even
rarer.

But if I'm not mistaken, plasma is not just about desktop software, it's
intended to be usable on many formfactors, such as handhelds and media
centers as well where such technology is more readily available.

michael