porting liquid weather to plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Mar 1 02:45:51 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008, Matt and Sarah wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'm going to use that engine, or whether the weather.com
> xml feed is compatible with a standalone dataengine type set up.  You have
> to subscribe to the service, and so if I were to write an engine, everyone
> would be downloading off of my subscription - which would make me nervous
> about being responsible for abuse - anyway - I'll think on that.

how is that different than accessing the information any other way? i don't
see the difference, esp since with open source software anyone can use your
code to build something else with it.

the point of "standalone dataengines" is to be able to share infrastructure
between applets (even of the same sort) at both development and run time.

even if your weather xml parser sits along side / ships with yoru applet, i'd
highly recommend considering going the dataengine route.