Pin plasmoid sides to edges of containment?

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 14:32:17 CEST 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008 19:29:38 Chris Reeves wrote:
> On Friday 27 June 2008 10:38:37 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 June 2008 16:51:05 Chris Reeves wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > First off, I'd like to thank all of the people involved in the
> > > plasma project and KDE in general. My desktop experience has
> > > improved much in KDE 4, to the extent that it seems like the
> > > workspace is assisting me instead of just being there or
> > > occasionally getting in the way. Thank you.
> > >
> > > In 4.1 beta2, the workspace started playing well with randr on my
> > > machine, so I can hook up my 1920x1200 monitor when I get to work
> > > and unplug it when I'm done to merrily go back to 1280x800. The
> > > only visual glitch I noticed in the transition, is that plasmoids
> > > that are in one place on the laptop screen are in a completely
> > > different place on the larger screen, relative to the sides of
> > > the monitor.
> > >
> > > It would be a nice feature, I think, to be able to pin the sides
> > > of plasmoids to certain points on the screen in relation to the
> > > containment edges. Doing this, it would be possible to make
> > > certain plasmoids slide to the edge of the screen on a resize,
> > > while others could be stretched to fill the extra space provided.
> > > I would imagine that something like a push-pin icon could be
> > > added to the sides of the plasmoid border to accomplish this. If
> > > sides opposite each other were pinned, the plasmoid would be
> > > stretched. If a single, or adjacent side(s) were pinned, then the
> > > plasmoid would be kept in that same relative position on
> > > containment resize.
> > >
> > > I don't know if that's a reasonable feature given the potential
> > > complexities both in code and interface design, and I'm not sure
> > > if this has been discussed before ( I couldn't find anything on
> > > it ). I thought it would be better to post it here for discussion
> > > before making a wish, if it is reasonable idea. If anyone would
> > > like me to provide a mockup of my vision of how this might work,
> > > I'd be glad to give it a shot.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Chris
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
> >
> > You might want to look for "xrandr" and "panel placement" to find
> > previous discussions. Those previous discusions are not dealing
> > with applets (plasmoids) in general, but with the panel's behaviour
> > (which is just a special applet), when the screen resolution
> > changes.
> >
> > Personally, I'm not really in favour of your suggestion. I don't
> > change screen resolution much though, so I can't really know your
> > pain, but my criticism is of a more abstract nature anyway.
> >
> > Your idea, if I may say so, stems from a very brute-force design
> > approach. You see objects moving on your screen (when changing
> > resolution), and this is breaking your workflow. So the most
> > obvious solution might be to stop these objects from moving, to
> > affix them to the screen.
> >
> > The idea of using pins to position applets is very good, in my
> [...]

Hi Chris,

sorry for the delay.

[I'm on this list, so no need for cc-ing me; are you subscribed as
well?]

No such system is currently planned. You have to know, that I'm
basically the big-mouthed clown of the community. I put out ideas like
that in the hope that a back-and-forth discussion ensues, in the course
of which we might be able to come up with a solution that is
technically feasible as well as usable for humans.

Regarding the transportation of state across networks and devices, you
might want to look out for Aaron Seigo, he's the brain behind the
plasma phenomenon. His blog, this mailing list, countless interviews,
keynotes and screencasts on YouTube are a source for valuable
information; google is your friend (or so they say). I'm also in the
process of "summarizing Aaron" in a vision statement on techbase :-).
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/TheWaysOfThePlasma
But the short answer is: the ability to take the digital aspect of your
state of mind with you was a fundamental design goal for plasma, very
early on.

As I said, such a system is not yet planned, but one or two weeks ago in
fact I presented a concept that also explores "meaning" as a dimension
for visualizing data on the desktop. The thread's subjectline
was "Scenario/storytelling" (or similar) and excerpts of it can also be
found in the ways of the plasma, referenced above. I'm not yet
addressing the work space there, so what I say there is not directly
relevant to what we discuss here, but the scenario I'm working on right
now addresses also the actual working area. Let's see what's coming out
of it.

If you have thought about these issues as well, let's hear about it!
It's always great to have fresh ideas, especially when you are
wandering off the beaten path, like plasma does.

Have a nice time,

michael