[Plasma] looks and usability of applet handle frame

Ismael Asensio caciquecola500 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:05:18 CEST 2008

Here it goes my proposal:

Use icons over the plasmoid itself avoiding the extra handle frame. The feel
of these icons would be pretty much like those on old amaroker plugin for
kicker.

All icons are desaturated (ala cashew) but still recognizable, until the
mouse goes over one of them. This icon "recovers the color" with an
animation (sorry for the untechnical expresion) and it's ready to be clicked
by the user. Of course, this behaviour only happens when the desktop
components are unlocked, and I'm supposing that in this state the user only
wants to play with the layout of plasmoids, not to interact with them.

Every action can be place in a different corner of the plasmoid, to help
easy recognition, not only by the icon, but by its position. You can easily
remember that, for example, rotation is low-left corner and changing size is
low-right, etc. The center of the plasmoid (greater area, easy to click) can
be set for dragging the plasmoid.

Visually, it could be like the image attached. Sorry for the HORRIBLE
HORRIBLE mock-up. It's done in a quick&dirty way with MS paint at job
office... but I hope it helps to get the idea.