Plasma::Applet's protected methods hurt the scripting API

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jun 28 18:19:27 CEST 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008, Paul Giannaros wrote:
> Plasma::Applet::setBackgroundHints is a protected method. I cannot
> touch it from Python, nor from my AppletScript subclass (class
> friendship is not inherited). I'm stuck.

... or you could provide a patch to make it non protected! since the google
gadgets guys also have been asking for this, i just committed it. easy, no? =)

> There are plenty of other important things cannot be called:
> setIsContainment; setConfigurationRequired; setFailedToLaunch.

you don't want to call setIsContainment. no, really. =)

the other two i can see. right now they are protected because they get called
internally on load failures primarily; i'll look into how to best provide
these for scripting access.

(btw, examining what we extend is really quite useful since it makes it
*purposeful* rather than random; for what should be obvious reasons, when it
comes to code we're going to be slinging across the network and onto user's
desktops this isn't a bad ting)

> I also
> cannot easily handle resize events at my leisure, mouse presses, mouse
> moves, etc.

you don't need to. create your own QGraphicsItem that you put into the Applet
object.