[Plasma] looks and usability of applet handle frame

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 27 22:23:43 CEST 2008

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> I´m not sure if on-click interaction is consistent in all widgets.
> For example, most widgets have click and drag but for the Digital
> Clock widget, click opens the calendar.  It is not click-and-drag to
> move like the other widgets.  I only have the 10 widgets that come by
> default, but I imagine there are other exceptions.

The clock should be fixable since they don't have to be the same I/O
inputs.  With the clock, Button1Up should open the Calendar.  However,
dragging is done while Button1Down is true.  You also need the logic
that KDeskTop and Konqueror have for icons where if you drag while
Button1Down is true then the Button1Up has no effect.

> The question becomes: should the on-click interaction be the same for
> all widgets (then we can think about your proposal more)?

Yes, it should be the same for all widgets.

So this should be in the Plasma library to drag while Button1Down and
pass Button1Up on the widget if there has been no drag.

This can be improved for drag.  For, Button1Down after a very short
delay then the cursor changes to: "fleur" and you can drag.  After this
change, the Button1Up will not be padded to the widget.

> Otherwise we have to stick with the border interaction.

If the borders are only for configuration, I don't see the point.  I
would eliminate the boarders.  I especially don't like the icons in the
boarder.  Those actions should be in the context menu when the widgets
are unlocked.

--
JRT

--