Cashew & things

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 26 20:31:37 CEST 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> time. I'm not sure in this case but I think that sometimes there is a place
> for these kind of hacks.

i once wrote a blog entry and users and features, and how features are like
crack: until the user gets their hand on the feature, they often don't even
think they want it. but once you give them a feature, they will claw your eyes
out to make sure it never goes away.

and so these hacks have a way of sticking around in the code.

and that degrades the maintainability of the code over time (and often impacts
the user interface, translation and docunentation efforts  ...)

i'm not stubborn for no reason. i'm stubborn because i never want to rewrite
the desktop shell from scratch again.

i think these kinds of hacks are just fine for downstream; if we were using
something that was more branching friendly (e.g. git) i'd be very happy with a
follows-mainline branch that housed all these temporary downstream appropriate
hacks that uglified the code.