the start of a task bar using data engine

Matthieu Gallien matthieu_gallien at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 26 18:11:04 CEST 2008

Hello,

first thank you for all your amazing work.
Some times ago I feel I will try to write a replacement for the kasbar of
kde3. Plasma seems easy to use and it seems easy to do that with plasma.

I also want to say that what I am doing is heavily stealing code from the
existing task bar some weeks ago and that all copyright notice are not up to
date. I am sorry for that, but I have very few time to work on this that I
seem to always forget to correct that.

I am trying to implement a task bar that is using the tasks data engine. My
idea is to have a model that will contains everything sent by the data engine.
I want to connect it a sort of view that will create, update and remove
widgets corresponding to each task.

My very long term goal is also to implement a service engine in order to be
able to have a task bar applet that do not link with the TaskManager library.

I have also tried to make a task bar looking the same than the actual one in
kdebase. I copied a lot of code but do not update it recently because I had
not enough time to do it. Anyway, I wanted to work on compact task bar and so
tried to factorize most of the code for drawing background for examples
between the two task bar. I even did a simple example implementation of a
compact task bar.

I need to add doxygen comments everywhere but I never found enough time to do
it.
I believe that I need help if I want this to be in a working state some day
because I have issue with my code, a lack of knowledge and a lack of available
time.
My code compile inside the applet subdirectory of plasma playground home.

I hope someone may have some spare time to look to my code and sends back
comments idea or criticism.
Thanks in advance.