Fwd: A help with JS (or maybe also Python) plasmoid

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:48:57 CEST 2008

2008/6/23 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

> On Monday 23 June 2008, Janz wrote:
> > give any hint) and couldn't find about how to get started with a non-C++
> > plasmoid. I saw a few examples (tiger JS plasmoid and all of those in
> > script/ on svn playground) but I can't install them under KDE 4.1 beta
> > Kubuntu package
>
> we actually have a plasmapkg application in kdebase now that can install
> such
> packages.

I would like to be able to use the plasapkg packaging mechanism for non-C++
languages such as C# which don't use the ScriptEngine api. C# is not a
scripting language and I think people will expect either the C++ api or
nothing - I really can't see how it would make sense to go through the
ScriptEngine. There will be the same issue if we have Java QtJambi bindings
I think. I have exchanged private emails with Aaron about whether or not
Ruby should use the ScriptEngine, and I still am not keen on using it as it
currently stands.

> > So, anyway, what I really need to know is: what do I need to get a 4.1
> > compliant (packaging and stuff else) working JS plasmoid (let's say
> Tiger,
> > to get a small one - and do we have examples of 4.1 compliant JS
> > plasmoids)?
>
> not particularly. we have the QScript engine in kdebase, but there is a new
> and much better one in the works in playground. unfortunatately at this
> point
> it won't make it in until 4.2 =(
>
> there's also a nice webkit one in payground now that uses Jolie (!)
>
> > Also, do any of you know about the same for a Python one?
>
> all the python support is in playground still.
>
> sort of how we've re-focussed efforts on artwork, we also MUST get the
> scripting support completed, shipping and documented in 4.2.

 I personally would prefer to get something going for 4.1 because I don't
think we can know what people want - which languages, what skill level and
so on - until we start iterating with something and get community feedback.
For instance, I don't know if the current group of KDE Ruby programmers grew
to 10 or 100 times its current size how their requirements might change. All
I know is that the current group are all 100% 'ninja' to use Aaron's
terminology and would expect to be able to use the full C++ api. So my plan
for KDE 4.1 is to try and provide both a ScriptEngine based api, and the
full C++ api (with or without proper plasma packaging), and get something
moving.

In a couple of weeks we are having a hacker sprint in Berlin with a lot of
the bindings guys (python, ruby, c# and php) and Kross too, and I would be
very keen on discussing there what to do about Plasma bindings for KDE 4.1.

-- Richard