Plasmoid: How to create engine-based applet?

Henk te Sligte htesligte at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 16:41:51 CEST 2008

2008/6/23 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> On Monday 23 June 2008, Henk te Sligte wrote:
>> probably not via rpm. I am using OpenSUSE 11, and libplasma is shipped
>> with kdebase4-workspace, version 4.0.4-24.2. I bet it's an old
>> version, because the KDE4 development is very alive.
>
> yes; in 4.1 we did an extensive API review and overhaul. so you're using the
> "old" API, while 4.1 has the "new" one. =)
>
>> Anyway, thank you for the assistance, now I can take my pretty basic
>> applet to some next levels!
>
> cool =) keep asking questions as they occur.

Well, here I am back again ;-)

I'm trying to do the update thing, actually, I want to reinvent the
wheel by creating a slideshow-widget, but I wanted to take it step by
step. So here I am again, wondering why my applet doesn't request for
updates..
I left the source code pretty much unchanged, except for this:
dataEngine("test01engine")->connectSource("test01applet", this, 5000,
Plasma::AlignToMinute);
I thought this should call test01engine (sourceRequested()) every 5
second, according to this documentation:
http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdebase-workspace-apidocs/libs/plasma/html/classPlasma_1_1DataEngine.html#20c6f57355b531b653bdcb8195d55cfb
but nothing happens. Well, nothing, the applet calls test01engine when
it starts, but just that one time only. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Henk te Sligte