Scenarios/Storytelling

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jun 8 23:22:16 CEST 2008

On Sunday 08 June 2008, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> Without further ado, I'll just paste the little story here. Fell free to
> ask any questions.

this is essentially the idea behind zooming+activities, or at least where we
are trying to go with them.

now, the trick is to map between your story and what we currently have,
leaving a map of what is left to do.

one thing in your story that i haven't gotten around to thinking about yet are
things like "most recently used activities"; i like where you are going with
that though. perhaps you could flesh out a detailed technical description of
how that system would work in your mind.

the zooming as you note it is how i originally wanted it (where activities
become iconified, have an attached description and icon, etc0, but we ran into
various technical obstacles we didn't have the time to work past.

one thing in your mockups that isn't on the current plan is multiple zoom
levels: in one mockup you show an activity zoomed in enough to see the
plasmoids in it, but all the rest zoomed out fully. perhaps that could be done
on mouse over in the largest zoom factor, but may also prove to be unecessary
and even disorienting to the user: we'd have to either move other items out of
the way to give the zoomed activity room, or cover other activities (really
not an option i don't think). there are some nice algorithms out there for
moving nodes "out of the way" that are pretty simple, but i'm not sure it's
worth it given a decent pan-and-zoom system.