xrandr

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 13:43:46 CEST 2008

On Sunday 08 June 2008 01:46:06 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > Since there is a creative director now, I'm sure he will jump in
> > soon,
>
> this actually isn't an art issue as much as it is a coding and
> usability issue, but input from everyone is very welcome.
>
> > Perhaps we will find a sensible solution, if we start to think of
> > the problem in terms of the projected meaning of a panel in the
> > plasma workspace in, say, 4.2, 4.3 or even later?
>
> not sure what you mean by this? perhaps you could explain a bit more?

Hi Aaron,

I'm always rather disappointed by the lack of discussion around the
important issues and seeing how the resulting lack of understanding and
vision is then the cause of many problems around here, is somehow
irritating to me.

From this disappointment came my pronounced brevity. But after your
friendly enquiry, my cynicism is suddenly blown away and I'm of course
glad to elaborate:

I'm wondering what the purpose of a panel might be in a modern user
interface? It might be a visual anchor, serve as orientation when the
working area is larger than the actual screen (think virtual desktops
or ZUIs). It houses tools for window management: there is a taskbar, a
rather funny way of managing windows, because you literally manage the
window, the graphical representation of an application. Slightly better
is the system tray, because through it, you can actually interact with
the application, not just its representation. A panel also serves the
role of an organizer tray, similar to what can be found on real
desktops, where you put tools for immediate access.

If we step back far enough, we might realize that the current panel is
probably not the most obvious solution to serve all these purposes. For
lack of discussion, my creativity and problem solving have
unfortunately stopped at a window maker-like solution. (I'm aware that
you recently voiced the wish (made the announcement?) that plasma
should have all kinds of panels, window maker, os x dock, ... in the
long run.) Anyway, other solutions might not even suffer the problem of
scalability, that we face now.

I wanted to submit a scenario shortly, and regardless of other
intentions, it also shows how many tasks, that are currently handled
through a panel, could be solved in completely different ways.

I'll see, if I can manage to post it today.

michael