xrandr

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 14:42:17 CEST 2008

On Saturday 07 June 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all
>
> so i committed a bunch of fixes for responding to xrandr changes. it seems
> to work again, with panels adjusting their sizes and what not properly.
>
> there are some outstanding issues left, and i'm getting lied to by my
> graphics driver and/or Qt pretty badly at times right now (like it telling
> me that there's a screen 1 that's changing size when screen 1 does not
> actually exist, nor did it when plasma started)
hmm, thihs is probably something we can't do nothing about that, right? :(

> the big remaining issue is going from a full screen panel on a large res,
> to a smaller res, then back to a larger res.
>
> what happens is that in the larger res (call it R(0)) we have a panel 100%
> width. in the lower res (R(1)) the panel is smashed down to the right size.
> so far so good.
>
> but on return to R(0) we no longer know at that point in time what R(1)
> was! i think we're going to need to keep the last seen screen geometry in
> PanelView.
>
> Marco: i'd like to chat various solutions over with you, since you've been
> working on resize and what not of late.

hmm, don't know if i like keeping the ratios, if i have configured a size
don't know if i would like it should be automatically changed, also because
if i configure a certain size less than 100% it's probably more related to
the size and number of the applets than on how the screen is big.
now probably it's natural to keep the size 100% because it basically means it
was not configured and becoming not 100% would be weird?
but that said i also don't know what could feel more natural, i only know in
every way we do there will always be bug reports that asks the exact
opposite, quite inevitable :)

i only feel that keeping the ratio between screen and panels would collide a
bit with the growing/maximum/minimum sizing, beside being a bit more
complicate.
i would be for caring only about 100% in this way (only tought about it don't
know if it'll work)
the being 100% or not is kept by a bool valued that is updated when the user
move the sliders but not when the screen res changes or the panel changes
screen, so if a panel becomes 100% because of resolution change and then it
changes again it won't grow back to 100%
of course there always will be messing with settings/annoyances when the
resolution decreases but don't see how to avoid them that much.
if ratios are to be kept everything should be kept to make it work decently,
size, max and min size and offset, i think it's a bit overkill...

Cheers,
Marco Martin