xrandr

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jun 7 12:25:16 CEST 2008

hi all

so i committed a bunch of fixes for responding to xrandr changes. it seems to
work again, with panels adjusting their sizes and what not properly.

there are some outstanding issues left, and i'm getting lied to by my graphics
driver and/or Qt pretty badly at times right now (like it telling me that
there's a screen 1 that's changing size when screen 1 does not actually exist,
nor did it when plasma started)

the big remaining issue is going from a full screen panel on a large res, to a
smaller res, then back to a larger res.

what happens is that in the larger res (call it R(0)) we have a panel 100%
width. in the lower res (R(1)) the panel is smashed down to the right size. so
far so good.

but on return to R(0) we no longer know at that point in time what R(1) was! i
think we're going to need to keep the last seen screen geometry in PanelView.

Marco: i'd like to chat various solutions over with you, since you've been
working on resize and what not of late.

some possibilities:

* always maintain the panel-to-screen ratio between resizes by recalculating
the size of the panel with the screen geometry changes (this would be in
PanelView::updatePanelGeometry i imagine)

* only care about the 100% state and keep a bool around in PanelView to note
that, and on screen geometry changes keep the panel 100% if it was previously
100%

i'm honestly not sure which would be more "natural". have to mull it over a
bit.

the same is true for the min/max sizes as well. should we reset the min/max
based on panel:screen ratio ... or should we just ensure they are never bigger
than the screen? for min size this could be a bit odd, to be honest, but for
max size it might make sense.

i'm currently of the opinion that we should leave min/max alone aside from
ensuring they fit in the current resolution.

in any case, it essentially Works(tm) at the moment, it's just finessing and
seeing if we can harden it further against the driver/Qt lieing to us.