Device Notifier for 4.1.

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:19:47 CET 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Alexis Ménard wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After the release event in Toulouse it's time to go back in code. So i want
> to speak about Device Notifier and his feature for 4.1.
>
> I have collect different wishes (bugtracker+blog) :
>
> -Add the possibility to unmount the device (with right mouse i think for
> the taskbar view and with an icon in the desktop view).
i would put in the list view an eject icon in the device entry, maybe in the
far right so it's less probable to click it accidentally

> -Grouping items by type (usb,CD...).
> -Improve Ui config with something more sexy.
> -Slipt code in two different classes (desktop view and taksbar view).
similar to what it is now? in taskbar (or in general when the size becomes too
small) show an icon (maybe that changes if there are plugged devices) and
when it's clicked on it show the big list view that would be exactly the same
thing you would get adding the applet into the desktop

> The big missing part is a config dialog to set the application associated
> to a kind device. Perhaps we should create a specific dialog in system
> settings?
> The main problem with this dialog is how we can bring to user the power of
> predicates in Solid ?
> And i think we have to add the possibility for the user to set a specific
> behaviour for a specific device (ie my usb key "foo" open gwenview instead
> of dolphin).
yet another icon near the eject one that allows you to chose what app use with
that specific device?

Cheers,
Marco Martin