Plasma::FormFactor::UserActivity

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 06:13:31 CET 2008

On January 29, 2008 09:02:27 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ..
>
> this is a proposal to add a new form factor: UserActivity (for lack of a
> better word)

a form factor? er... you mean a constraint?
I still get tripped up by our new words sometimes ;)

> each containment would have a UserActivity (QString) with it, and the user
> would be able to create new acitivites (perhaps passively during the
> process of creating a new containment?)

are we gonna start referring to desktop containments as activities now? ;) yet
another word for the glossary... actually, maybe that's not a bad idea to
encourage thinking of them that way.
although doesn't olpc call programs activities or something?

> this would allow applets to alter their behaviour based on the
> UserActivity.
>
> for instance, an IM buddy list might allow the user to tag contacts with
> UserActivities so that when placed in a containment for Work Project Foo
> would only show certain people in the office. Plasma might show all of you
> in from my buddy list.

cooool.
you're thinking strictly one-activity-per-desktop, right?

> perhaps we could even allow others in an autodiscover list due to physical
> proximity to ask to be tagged with your UserActivities. ..

for a minute I was thinking about OLPCs being close to one another... err... I
don't quite get this part. other whats?

> a media notifier might only show certain volumes containing relevant
> documents.
>
> we may want to export these UserActivities into the search store (e.g.
> nepomuk)

yeah, you could filter a search based on them or something... or give
priority...

> but the base idea to get the intended containments-are-projects feature
> going probably requires something akin to UserActivity.
>
> thoughts? comments? ideas?

sounds like a very good idea.

now if only I could tag virtual desktops with activities too or something...
have a pager that shows only the related ones...

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com