RFC: scripting support changes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 25 01:44:33 CET 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> 2. that together with your "But that doesn't change the requirment to the
> script implementation can do what ever it wishes" above means, that it's
> maybe wise to talk about this as early as possible what my last mail tried
> to achieve by providing some feedback about my point of view where the
> problem is located and why I aborted the scriptengine (as in applet
> scripting API what is !=dataengine API) I wrote so far.

probably; the scripting is getting a lot better defined now, and i think it
would be possible to roll SK support as a special AppletScript plugin. the
only real trick would be to provide .desktop files for the applets, but this
could be done dynamically at runtime whenever an SK theme is installed.

of course, this does not solve the problem of manually or previously installed
SK themes, so it may not be desireable to rely Plasma::Applet 100% for this
and still have some specific SK glue. would be nice, though, if there was a
way to make is possible to query for SK themes using KServiceTypeTrader

> > b) the engine/visualization split was done specifically for this reason,
> > the number of widgets we have in libplasma such as meters, etc are also
> > there for the same reason. you pick a widget, you connect it to a data
> > source, voila, done. no painting necessary.
>
> nah. I only talked about the visualization part since dataengine works quit
> well + it's the same way SK works anyway through there it's named sensors
> rather then dataengine's and meters rather then (visualisation-)widgets.

yep; as you know, DataEngine was in part inspired by SK's sensors.

> > perhaps this just isn't clear enough when looking at the various APIs,
> > but i really don't think the issue you are concerned about is either real
> > or valid.
>
> y, maybe not at this point (aka not before Qt 4.4 wqith it's alien widgets
> is used).

even now it's a limited problem; but yes, with Qt 4.4 it'll become absolutely
trivial =)

> Thanks for taking the time to reply and pointing me indirect to the
> dashboard-documentation :)

np =)