Plasma::Dialog without acceleration

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 10 20:56:00 CET 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 10 January 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 January 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > (and a good design) to conditionally load one svg or the
> > > other depending if accel is enabled or not?
> >
> > this would make a nice addition to Plasma::Theme. it could check if
> > KWindowSystem::compositingActive() and if not try to first load files
> > from $THEME_ROOT/opaque/ or something like that. then files for
> > non-composited top levels could be put in there. thoughts?
>
> but since it would be needed only in few places, wouldn't it cause some
> more useless disk access opposed to put it only where is used like in
> dialog or panel?

probably only the first time accessed a given file, as we'd share renderers
from there on out. we could also use symlinks if we wanted to be evil about
it.

alternatively we could put these items in a special path recognized by
Plasma::Svg, e.g. "fancypants/widgets/..." which would internally resolve to
trying nonfancy/widgets/* if there was no composite on and just widgets/* if
therew as.

so for compositing available it would be the same disk access pattern as now.

i'd really like to keep this as a detail with Plasma::Svg, though, so we can
keep it a matter of policy versus coding it in each component.

oh, and premature optimizations being the root of all evil, blah blah blah ;)