Hiding vs. locking functionality

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Thu Jan 10 01:43:40 CET 2008

On Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > this is not new in plasma, btw, but exactly how it was implemented in
> > > kicker with not complaints recv'd.
> >
> > Of course it is. Kicker is one thing to lock, i.e. "lock kicker" locks
> > kicker. Yet locking widgets in this case means lock desktop + toolbox and
> > panel, none of which are perceived as widgets by the user, but as
> > desktop, toolbox and panel. "Lock desktop" would come closer as the user
> > might assume the toolbox and panel as part of the desktop.
>
> i am aware that we are working towards changing how the user interacts with
> the workspace.

You could use that sentence to justify anything, so it is not really a valid
reason, is it?

Further, first you say: we did it like that in KDE3 and are now basically
doing the same, so there is no reason to change it. Then you change 180° and
argue that things are changing? Either or.

Either KDE3's behaviour has to be kept, because nobody complained and people
are used to it, then plasma would have to provide a "lock panel" and "lock
desktop" and not just a "lock widgets". Or plasma is working towards a new
way to interact, then you cannot justify that "lock widgets" is right because
it worked for kicker.

Sven