Hiding vs. locking functionality

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Thu Jan 10 00:38:12 CET 2008

On Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Even worse for the "add applets" button which was gone some days later
> > too.
>
> that's what "lock widgets" means. what point is there in adding a widget if
> you can adjust its location, etc?

No, locking does not mean adding and as I said, the desktop/toolbox/panel is
not a widget from the user's point of view. So locking widgets should not
lock the desktop etc., which it does.

> this is not new in plasma, btw, but exactly how it was implemented in
> kicker with not complaints recv'd.

Of course it is. Kicker is one thing to lock, i.e. "lock kicker" locks kicker.
Yet locking widgets in this case means lock desktop + toolbox and panel, none
of which are perceived as widgets by the user, but as desktop, toolbox and
panel. "Lock desktop" would come closer as the user might assume the toolbox
and panel as part of the desktop.

Sven