KDE/kdebase/workspace/libs/taskmanager

Ryan P. Bitanga ryan.bitanga at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 02:47:56 CET 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 9:37 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Ryan P. Bitanga wrote:
> i'm ok with it as long as its down in a way that other window managers can
> provide similar functionality. which is another way of saying "it's ok if
> kwin is first." one of the benefits of working with a window manager project,
> isn't it? =)
Agreed. But as it stands, it's a tightly coupled hack. :( And tooltip
flexibility is lost because we end up using tooltips only in the task
applet. Icon could benefit from tooltip as well (to mimic KDE 3.X
behavior) but we need a generalized tooltip class to do that. (Ok i'm
sort of volunteering to work something out but I'm busy looking for
work so if someone else who has time wants to do this, be my guest. :)
)

> > It would be great if we find a way to get the functionality
> > into taskmanager instead and maybe work for something that'll enable
> > other wm's to integrate a little better as well.
>
> of course this transcends Tasks themselves somewhat. there are likely to be
> all sorts of uses for "draw a window thumbnail of this Task::Ptr in these
> coords, please".
>
> it would be excellent if we could just make requests to the window manager
> directly for these pixmaps (prescaled, etc). with the flexibility of a window
> manager, we should be able to put such things anywhere and the window manager
> can composite them directly on top.
>
> so if anything goes into libtaskmanager, perhaps it's a generic way to
> say "put a thumbnail of window winId in rect QRect"

Can we get something into fdo? Some standard for compositing window
managers or something? Just a thought.

Ryan