AppletHandle patch

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 19:53:53 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Cody wrote:
> This should fix the applet handles in KDE4 from hanging around after the
> mouse leaves the applet.

good start =) one big problem: this patch no longer allows you to move to the
applet handle so you can't click on the buttons. also, if a handle already
existed, on re-hover it wouldn't show.

general questions:
 - why is the Q_ASSERT(applet!=0) commented out? it's still just watching
applets, right?

 - a timeout of .5s is usually a bit much for events such as these, .3s is
often better. (this is the exact opposite of the tooltips issue we had the
other day =)

 - in startFading if you put a m_hoverTimer->stop() line you could get rid of
disableTimer() all together and simplify hoverLeaveEvent to what it was
again. better to keep such functionality close to where it needs to be
anyways so future code paths don't accidently forget to stop the timer.

coding style issues:
 - m_hoverTimer_timeout .. underscores, ew ;) how about just call it fadeIn()?
 - 4 spaces for indent
 - if(d->handles.contains(applet)) <-- missing a space, should be: if (

the attached patch addresses all the above issues. thoughts?

p.s. i see you aren't sub'd to the list. you may wish to do so if you continue
to work on plasma issues so you can keep abreast with what's going on.

p.p.s. we're up to 359 people on this list. one short of a full circle. ;)