Toolbox Brainstorming

Craig Duquette cduquette at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:22:21 CET 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008 08:29:06 Alex Merry wrote:
> At Sunday 06 January 2008 22:10, you wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 January 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > > Oh, and... because we've raised the toolbox-zooming issue...
are we
> > > sure the toolbox must resize too? Why can't it remain fixed?
It's a
> > > control
> >
> > again, i'd like to see the toolbox not resize. (i've had this convo a
few
> > times now .. time to just code the damn thing so i don't have it
again?
> > ;)
>
> OK, the attached patch fade the toolbox rather than expanding it -
> hopefully this should also make the buttons easier to read, since
the
> plasma logo is less intrusive when the toolbox is open.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Alex

I kind of like the expand effect because the buttons are being moved
in while the toolbox is expanding. It's more consistent. Now, if the
buttons faded in while the toolbox faded out that could potentially be
cool.

I agree the plasma icon needs to become less visible when the
toolbox is expanding and your patch made things a lot more
readable. So maybe just make that translucent on slideout?

I've attached a patch that switches the plasma icon to its disabled
visual state when the toolbox is expanded. It's a one liner and I'm
sure there's a nicer way of doing this, but you get the idea...

~Craig