Toolbox Brainstorming

Craig Duquette cduquette at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 21:43:57 CET 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 14:57:16 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Saturday 05 January 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 January 2008, pinheiro wrote:
> > > I will have to agrea with Craig on this one, To me it looks a bit
> > > to visible there (a "on your face"), just my personal feeling.
> >
> > so ... is it that the icon is too bright? (we could grey it out when
> > not activated, though it would be good to make it at least
someone
> > noticeable)
>
> A better gradient (so it actually fades to nothing at the edge)
makes a
> big difference, actually.  I did post a patch (based on Craig's) that
> did this a while back, but that was with just icons.
>
> Alex

Yea I liked the fade to nothing patch. The only problem I had was
there was no animation when the toolbox expanded because the
expanded part was invisible. Not sure if it's possible to have it fade to
nothing unexpanded, then when expanded we'd expand the gradient
so it'd still be fade to nothing, but expanded so the user gets a sense
hoving does something. The current toolbox design fades to nothing
on the expanded form, which gives the user a sense of movement on
mouseover, while being somewhat visually appealing.

~Craig