porting liquid weather to plasma

Matt matt-lists at comnet.net.nz
Fri Feb 29 23:16:14 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm the guy who wrote (most of) liquid weather.  Currently it's languishing as
a superkaramba theme, as I don't have a lot of time to maintain it, and it's
a complete kludgy mess.  I'd quite like to start from scratch and rewrite it
for plasma, but don't quite know where to start.

Basically, I only know python (and a very small subset of python at that).
I've read somewhere that someone's written a weather data engine, but I don't
know if it hooks into the weather.com xml feed.  This seems to be the most
sensible data source to use, as it is xml based and therefore easier to parse
than scraping websites.  However, it is subject to a license, which I don't
think is incompatible with plasma, however, maybe incompatible with use as a
generic data engine for other applets to hook into.

If I'm to retain a lot of the functionality of liquidweather, I'd like to also
retain a lot of the configurability of it - I'm not sure what facilities
plasma provides for configuration dialogs, but hopefully it can accommodate
my needs.

Is there a way to write plasma applets in python yet?  I know that plasma can,
or will be able to, load superkaramba themes, however, as I say above,
liquidweather is currently collapsing under its own weight, and I'd like to
start anew, and try to take advantage of some of the features of plasma.

Is there a website that can help to get me started?  Sorry, these questions
are probably answered somewhere, but I've been away from things for a while,
and am not fully up to speed with where things are at.

--
Regards

Matt