making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 17:54:23 CET 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Will Stephenson wrote:
> * it's consistent with every other selectable item on the desktop, but

you are using kmail. look at the selection of a threaded item in the header
list. so .. no. it's not.

> especially pulldown menus.

and pulldown menus have headers, search edits, tabs and disk usage bars?
kickoff is as much a menu as krunner is.

> * conversely, only highlighting the text could give the impression that the
> text is something separate to the icon.

did you think that? have you found someone who has?

> * other menus also display icons and other elements without colour
> clashing.

again, you're using kmail. start a mail, open the edit menu, mouse over Undo
and, if you're using the default oxy colour scheme, tell me that there isn't
a wonderful clash of blue on blue.

and that's not something that you are going to sit there and read through and
which isn't 32px+ in size.

when the highlight was behind the icon, i often found it just fugly: konqi's
icon is esp bad there.

?

> * highlights are supposed to be eyecatching:

yes, that's really the whole point. and why? to draw the eye to the importance
of the selected item. this has nothing to do with being full width, however.
not in the least. why do i say that? because notice that nobody is saying "i
can't figure out which item is highlighted".

and if you are thinking about reply with "maybe they just haven't said it"
don't even bother because prior to 4.0 we did have a hard-to-notice highlight
and guess what feedback we got, hard and heavy? yep: "i can't figure out
which item is highlighted."

so the current system is indeed effective in the real world, whic mean this is
basically a discussion about usability for something that that works making
it really a discussion mostly about aesthetics. =)

there are things in kickoff that are not working for people (speaking of
which, i need to make the new "breadcrumbs" clickable; binner is scheduled to
work on the free resize thing ... and your tab top/bottom/left/right patch
helps there as well). it'd be cool to concentrate a bit more on those things
instead imho.

and if we really want to improve the look 'n feel, doing something about the
fugly frame would be a decent idea.

> * a full width highlight doesn't cramp the item it highlights, a bit of
> empty space between the borders of the highlight and its contents makes the
> whole thing easier on the eye

strawman, as that was never an issue.

> * a full width highlight doesn't create the impression of a jumble of
> differently sized rectangles whilst mousing over a list of items

given that it maps directly to the size of the thing being highlighted ...

and again, highlighting semantically useless space in a way that emphasizes it
seems rather fun.

i half suspect that eventually one of the people standing behind the "full
width!" idea will actually produce a patch with a full width highlighting
that is acceptable in terms of not being eye catching in the extreme, having
very low colour saturation, looking pretty and not interfering with either
the text or drawing one to the "vast ocean of emptyness" between the text and
the edge of the menu.

until that point this is really a useless conversation.