kickoff text not easily readable.

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 25 02:01:55 CET 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008 01:49:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 24 February 2008, Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> > I have been taking a look at it. At first I figured it was a Kubuntu only
> > problem. I know the image part of the bug in LP is at least Kubuntu only.
> > The text should be a fairly easy fix I would assume by just tying it into
> > the color scheme.
>
> it already is tied into the colour scheme. it uses dark(). unfortunately it
> appears that some (most? all?) dark colour schemes make dark() useless
> against base(). this seems ... dubious to me.
>
> palettes are treated by developers semantically, not as actual colour
> values. or at least they should, since palettes can be a lot more than just
> colours in the first place (brushes are fun and cool =).
>
> i'd also submit that "base()" is not a colour: it's a semantic. just as
> with most of the brush names in QPalette.
>
> i'll need to talk with some of the resident colour and artwork people to
> get some more information/consensus on this, but personally i'd suggest
> that colour schemes should preserve the *semantics* of the colours not just
> the values as implied by the literal name.

If it's using Plasma's color theme, I can understand where this comes from.
The theme was totally broken when I put my hands on it, and making some
applets use it, I started fixing colors where I saw match (but certainly
wasn't able to review and test all of them).

It certainly needs to be reviewed by an artist, probably together with someone
who can tell what the actual colors are used for. Maybe at the plasma meeting
in spring?

Given the amount of problems, it would be nice if we used a global color
scheme, for widget-like things like panel and menu. Also Plasma's
white-on-black colorscheme gives a less-integrated look to the kickoff menu.
(Technically, that's expectable, but it might not make sense to the user).

But then I like the black panel a lot, and I prefer my windows light-grey. :/
--
sebas