Initial Dashboard Widgets support

Andre Magalhaes andrunko at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 23:21:16 CET 2008

Hi all,

So I decided to try and create an applet that was able to load
Dashboard Widgets.
Attached there is the very initial version of it, that should be applied from
playground/base/plasma/applets directory.

Problems I would like to discuss with you:

- Some (read most) dashboard widgets "include" local files:
  Eg.: file:///System/Library/WidgetResources/button/genericButton.js
  How should we deal with this. Should we create our own javascript
code and ship with it,
  Then we could parse the files and make them load our own version the code.
- WebView always draws a white background, no matter what.
- Should we do like the SuperKaramba support (Show the applets in the
applet browser)?
  Ps.: Who knows the code knows it's a hack, but if we want the
applets to appear on the applet
         browser we need to do it. This would require changes on the
appletbrowser code.
  Right now, you will find an applet in the applet browser that when
running can load dashboard widgets
  either by dropping files on it or trough the config dialog.
- How can we propagate the webview events to the applet widget, so for
eg. dragging would work.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Also I would like to commit this to playground/base/plasma/applets, so
I could work from there.

BR

--
Andre Moreira Magalhaes (andrunko)