multiple plasma-desktops

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 07:49:08 CET 2008

> > ok, cool.
> > right now the view actually sets its screen to be the containment's
> > screen, which seems a little odd.
>
> i've actually fixed that in the patch i posted for review today. it now
> just returns the current containment's screen. one less thing to
> synchronize

yay :)

> > > and likely always will.
> >
> > good. you disagreed with this a while ago, which was confusing me, but I
> > think you'd just misinterpreted what I'd said.
>
> perhaps. iirc, you were asking if there was an "active containment" in on
> Corona (or at least that's what i thought you were asking?) and the answer
> to that is "no". a _view_ has an active containment, but there is no
> meaning to the question of "which is the active containment in plasma?"

it's not what I meant, but I didn't explain very well the first time and
didn't get a chance to explain again.

> > > not necessarily it could well be possible for all non-claimed (e.g. all
> > > screen() == -1) containments to handle their own zoomed status and
> > > switch their screen() to the screen of the view the click came from.
> >
> > I didn't think of doing it this way.
> > that would mean putting code into Containment that understands zoom
> > stuff, I guess...
>
> already available in the paintInterface method really.

ok... I'll have to spend some time wrapping my head around this stuff.

> > > perhaps this even belongs in the toolbox.
> >
> > originally I wanted that. but, well, when you're zoomed out there's more
> > than one toolbox... and why not make use of that blank canvas space? :)
>
> yes; i think we can actually do both tbh. maybe if we go the GridLayout
> route, then we can have an "empty" entry (at the end?) that is a button
> that says "Create a new activity"?

sounds good to me :)
someday I'll want a button that lets me add a non-default containment too, but
I'll try to just focus on basic things for now

> > > erm. how exactly? it's not the easiest thing to do, but i haven't
> > > discouraged anyone from working on this. in fact, i've helped people
> > > with questions who have tried working on this in the past. =/
> >
> > me and gamma were talking to you about toolbox plans and you suddenly
> > started contradicting things you'd said before, telling us not to do
> > things the way we thought we were supposed to. when we asked you to
> > explain, you said it'd be easier if you just wrote the code yourself. :(
>
> the latter is because the former was what i'd repeated several times: the
> toolbox shouldn't shrink, but then you need to move it. so you have to pay
> attention to the transformation matrix, but you have to set transforms off
> which means you have to do all the positioning manually. after saying it a
> few times over i became exasperated. i'm really not good at repetition. ;)

and I'm really not good at handling seemingly contradictory statements :)

for the record: it turns out that when aaron said "move" he meant "move to the
corner of the containment" but we were hearing "move to the corner of the
view".

> > > i think no, only non-associated containments.
> >
> > ok. we still need to be able to have two views on different desktops show
> > the same containment, btw.
>
> that's fine. because the associated-ness is by screen(). desktop() should
> not be used to decide if a Containment is associated, but rather with which
> View(s) it is associated.

great.

> > I have a feeling people with multiple screens might get confused when
> > they zoom out and see containments they can't zoom into, but that can be
> > dealt with later if it turns out to be a problem.
>
> i thought about that. what i think we will do is paint over these
> containments with a translucent grey (which will only change the
> background; neat!) or some such to show that they are manipulatable but not
> selectable and perhaps even change the toolbox options available.

ooh, sounds nice :)

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com