multiple desktops and background painting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 22 00:26:27 CET 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Chani wrote:
> > If there is a containment-per-desktop, you can have different
> > background on each desktop, but plasmoids and icons can be added to
> > all desktops by default. And there is also place for some "cool
> > features" like an "only-on-this-desktop" option when adding a
> > plasmoid.
>
> no, it doesn't quite work like that. an applet is only in one containment
> at a time. what we *can* do is have two virtual-desktops both show the same
> containment.

correct, and this is (in part) because it needs to be possible to move objects
between containments without wierd semantic grey areas (what does it mean to
move an "on multiple containments" object from one containment to another? do
we start offering "copy, move, link"? ugh!)

it's also in part because this violates the idea of "one object in one place"
that we've come to expect from the universe we've evolved in. even mirrors in
the physical world tend to be a cause of "wtf"