Recommended reading

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 20 23:17:34 CET 2008

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Jeremy wrote:
> Very interesting, I wonder if some of these people have seen plasma, or
> kde4

Aza Raskin is somewhat aware, yes. we've chatted a few times.

as for his father ... well, he passed away, but his work (in particular The
Humane Interface) was a source of major inspiration for me and the ideas that
have been forming here.

the GUI command line stuff is one of those quiet undercurrents that's been
going around for a few years now and is quite interesting. krunner is heavily
inspired by these ideas; krunner is not particularly innovative (yet?).
really i just needed something to replace the minicli from kdesktop and
decided we may as well try to do something Better(tm) or even maybe
Right(tm) .. i'm a big believer in this whole gui/cli concept, though, and
where krunner goes beyond what is out there right now is in two important
places:

* the plugins are available for anyone to use, it's not a
cut-off-from-the-rest-of-the-world tool. quicksilver, katapult, gnome-do,
deskbar .. they are all fairly sealed off. i think this is simply a case of
not realizing the full possible scope. runners should become pervasive (e.g.
kickoff, a plasmoid, perhaps even in other apps?)

* it's part of the default set up of a production desktop. pretty much all the
other things out there are add ons. this is really one of the benefits of
free software: we don't have to convince a huge company to try this out, we
can just DO IT.