Threading in Plasma applets

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:59:14 CET 2008

The ruby clock example I wrote a month or two ago would work fine for
a couple of minutes, and after that there would be errors in slot or
virtual method callbacks, that had worked previously, and it would
crash plasma. I wonder if this is because of some problem with Ruby
and native threads where the Ruby heap was getting corrupted because
more than one thread was trying to run the Ruby code, and Ruby isn't
thread safe. I think I read that the simpler Ruby scripting bindings
were having problems too, which makes me think it might be some sort
of Ruby problem, rather than a QtRuby specific problem. Is that
possible? What threads are running in the Plasma process?

-- Richard