KWin and plasma's colorscheme

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Feb 5 17:07:30 CET 2008

 Hmm ... KDE people dislike cross-posting that they don't even know how to do
it properly ;) - let's keep this on panel-devel, ok?

On Tuesday 05 of February 2008, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008 15:01:57 Chani wrote:
> > On February 5, 2008 21:45:34 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  I can't say I'd like very much the idea of making KWin link libplasma,
> > > but that's not the reason why I don't like this. The reason is that I
> > > don't see why it should stop using the standard way to get colors and
> > > instead use a Plasma-specific replacement. And, if this patch went in,
> > > would that mean that other "random" places would have to be patched
> > > this way too?
> >
> > I don't like this either. heck, I'm not even sure I like the fact that
> > plasma's colours are independent of the rest of kde, but they probably
> > have to because of the svgs. (note: I know almost nothing about theming)
> > so if anything should change, it should be plasma using kde colours, not
> > vice versa - and the fact that plasma's default theme has
> > black-background svgs makes that fairly unlikely.
>
> Exactly. SVG 1.2 tiny actually has a concept of system Colors. Ideally, we
> should use those, but they are not implemented in Qt, as far as I know. It
> also makes it harder to prepare the SVG files, since inkscape does not
> handle them...
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/painting.html#systemPaint

 That indeed looks like this would be the best solution.

 Alternatively, if this is too much work, I think it'd be the job of some
systemsettings module (theme,colors,whatever) to try to match colors of
Plasma and the global settings.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz