Fonts and Containments

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 4 17:27:19 CET 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008, Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> - The difference between desktopFont() and taskbarFont() is not fully
>   compatible with Plasma's world order

note that taskbarFont() is for the taskbar, not the panel in general. at
least, that's how i understood it and how it was used in kicker iirc. seems
someone got carried away in the pager with the Windows Dictionary of
Computing English ;)

i honstly don't think the taskbar font belongs as its own global item. it
probably makes more sense to be a taskbar widget (global) setting?

that just leaves us with the desktop font. for everything else.

> - We can do without having everyone decide on which font to use by
> providing the right one from Widget::font(), proposed(, ugly, hackish)
> patch attached. The problem with this patch is that it only checks if

another wrinkle: libplasma is not only used on the desktop. krunner, amarok,
etc probably don't want the taskbar/desktop font ;)

probably what we need is:

* a set of fonts defined within libplasma for various uses. right now we have
just the one, but going through the various use cases and picking out a set
of font use cases probably makes sense. (more on that in a bit)

* a way for the application to set the fonts. probably via defaults that fall
back to QApplication::font() but which read from the application's
configuration file (plasmarc for plasma). this is similar to how we handle
the SVG theming as well.

so ... font sets... use cases that spring to mind:

* default clock fonts
* taskbar font
* desktop widget font (akin to QApplication::font() really)
* small widget font (e.g. for use in the pager to put numbers/names there)
* ALI font? (does it make sense for that to be different?)
* ...?

> - taskbarFont() is in kdelibs as of 4.0, so it cannot be removed or renamed
>   (to panelFont() for example)

we could just deprecate it, ignore it and remove it from the fonts kcm,
though, right?