Default location of panel

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sun Feb 3 16:47:02 CET 2008

Le dimanche 3 février 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :

> * to make it useful for the taskbar, it needs to be wider. making the panel
> wider results in really, really big applets (e.g. battery). so this exposes
> something we need to work on: Vertical form factor appropriateness in
> applets.

Here i'm speaking about KDE3 experience.
But i've been using a large horizontal pannel on my desktop, and the problem
is the same.   Big square icon or applet take all the place even on
horizontal, so i simply don't used them :-).

> * being that this is different, many people will by default dislike it
> (even once we get the applets behaving right). we should trial this and get
> as much feedback as early as possible

If someone dislike a default, he can still change it.
But he probably dislike it just because he is not used to it,  and if he try
it for few minutes, he will maybe like it better :-)
I think we should provide the default that make a better experience for most
of people, which usually don't change settings, or doesn't like to try the
unknown.

> personally, i'm cool with this patch going in so that we can test this
> configuration (i like how it exposes some shortcomings that must get
> addressed) and get feedback. it may not make it through to 4.1 depending on
> feedback and other issues....

Yes, exactly, feedback is important.