KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/tasks (silent)

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Feb 3 10:33:19 CET 2008

2008/2/2 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

> On Friday 01 February 2008, Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > The reason why I cc-mailed panel-devel at kde.org on commit r769216 was btw
> > for review-purpose and it was working very well and rather fast. The
> code
> > was in the repositry and ppl could try it out without first
> > downloading+applying a patch + I even got a hint that this triggers
> another
> > bug what in turn lead me to fix the other bug.
>
> i understand where you are coming from. however, this is not how we work
> together on this code base. your commits in this case have become
> increasingly wrong, revision by revision. you're not actually working
> faster,
> you're just working wronger (ok, that's not a word). please get these
> things
> peer reviewed, because right now there's now a small mess to sort out that
> should never have gone in this way.
>
> > That all was done in rather short time and if I compare that with how
> some
> > commercial development happens (review, documentation, bunches of ppl
> > involved, lot of "wait-time" till you are able to continue to work on
> > something and probably you even can't let the solution grow in svn but
> need
> > to have a perfect solution before beeing able to ask for review, etc.)
> then
> > it's not only faster but also more direct.
>
> evidently you've missed how quickly plasma has been developing, then.
> because
> it goes quickly. most importantly, it usually goes quickly in good
> directions
> rather than randomly this way or that.
>
> you may have gotten quicker to where *you* wanted it to go, but your
> patches
> in this stream have been full of incorrect changes that now other people
> will
> have to go through and fix or at the very least point out the issues to
> you
> so that you can fix them.
>
> honestly, i'm just going to go through and fix the problems. so you've
> ended
> up wasting other people's time in a way that was completely unnavoidable.
>
> so regardless of what you personally feel, believe or think about this
> process
> as a whole ... stop barreling ahead and start working with the others
> working
> on plasma. there are several of us, and if we would like that to continue
> it's pretty important that we:
>
> * ensure the code base does not become a piss pile of hacks that make it
> unpleasant to hack on and difficult to maintain (your patches here fail in
> this way)
>
> * coordinate our efforts so we don't duplicate efforts and annoy each
> other
> (ruphy's time has been wasted here)

> [...]

Ok, now Aaron, please breath, and calm down. :-)

We don't want to piss off our other Sebastian, no? ;-)

Sebastian, nothing happened for now, remember for next time that, for
non-trivial changes
to the lib, please submit the patches into the nifty tool we just got set
up. =)

And please do! I wanna try out the new toy! :D
I want to review some non-lame patches, comment them, commit, and have fun!
=)
Please, do it for me as a personal favour, pleeease!!!! :D

Wow, 1 smiley per sentence! :D What a funny mail! :P

Okokok sebas... I'll stop smoking your crack. ;-)

Bye,
-Riccardo
--
GPG key: